Friday, December 3, 2010

Dances with Toddlers

It has been an exhausting week, even though as weeks go around here, it was a pretty laid-back one. Other Baby was on vacation, then he was sick, so he's only been here for a couple of days and I still think that having one toddler is harder than having two because when there's only one? You have to actually ENTERTAIN that one. And they have the attention span of a hyperactive gnat. So we spent most of the week stepping out of our comfort zone and trying out new things.

I always scoffed at baby and toddler music classes (and art classes and whatever-else classes) because...really? A bunch of adults singing nursery rhymes and dancing around with scarves? And this is good for development how, exactly? But I finally bit the bullet and went to one this past week because (a) a bunch of my friends were going to be there with their toddlers and (b) it was cold and I didn't want to bundle us up, just so we could go freeze on the playground. And the apartment doesn't appreciate it when we stay home all day. Something about how we're raucous and messy and it needs a break every now and then.

As it turns out, Luke HATES toddler music classes. It was one, long, drawn-out tantrum. First, he didn't like the singing. Then, he didn't want the singing to stop. Then, he didn't want to dance. Then, he didn't want to stop dancing. Suffice it to say that I was plenty glad to leave. (Except I think we're going back next week because as much as Luke hated it, that's how much I expect Other Baby will LOVE it. He's all about dancing around with scarves, that one.)

No comments: