Monday, April 25, 2011

26 Weeks

There's always a certain "sizing up" that happens when moms run into other parents with kids who look to be the same age as their own. Most of the time, the icebreaker that I use (and hear) most often on the playground is, "How old is your child?" And I've noticed that it happens during pregnancy too--when I see another pregnant woman, we both take a look at each others' belly and try to figure out how far along the other one is in comparison to ourselves.

I had one of those moments today when I took Luke and Other Baby to the park. There was another mom there with her daughter and she looked about as pregnant as I am. Or so I thought...

OtherMom: When are you due?
Me: The end of July.
OtherMom: ...Oh...I thought you looked closer to me...
Me: When are you due?
OtherMom: Yesterday.

I'm choosing to believe that she just looked really fabulous for being a day past her expected due date (which she totally did), because the alternative? The one that has me looking like I'm nine months pregnant instead of six? That alternative scares me kind of a lot because WHAT WILL I LOOK LIKE IN THREE MONTHS???

No comments: