Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Processing

Over the past month, Luke and I have been talking a lot about carseats, seat belts, driving carefully, following the rules of the road, etc. We talk about this stuff anyway because he is so interested in all things related to vehicles, but it has certainly come up a lot more in the weeks since the crash. And I have to say, if only the world worked the way it does in his imagination, life would be ever so much easier.

Right after the accident, we had to get new car seats for the kids. Luke sat rear-facing until a couple of weeks before Weston was born and the new seats can accomodate much larger rear-facing kids, so I asked Luke, somewhat jokingly whether he'd like to turn back again.
Luke: No, I don't want to.
Me: But if you did, you might be safer. See how Weston didn't get hurt at all in the crash?
Luke: Yes...but next time, just don't crash into another car, Mama.

Every time we get to a stop sign, he says, "Stop, stop, STOP, STOP, STOOOPP!!!! There's a stop sign!" Of course, he starts yelling this as soon as he spies a stop sign and he has good eyes when it comes to this stuff, so I usually have to listen to it all the way down the road as I approach the stop sign. It's made slightly better by the fact that afterwards, he says, "Thank you for stopping at that stop sign, Mama. That was very nice."

When we see ambulances or fire trucks on the road, it has always been terribly exciting for him, but now, he has a back story for the experience. The other day, a firetruck flew by us with lights flashing and sirens screaming and Luke narrated the following story: "That firetruck is going to a car accident. Two cars went crashing in together and the Mama in the car said, 'Oh, my, our car is broken. Let's call the firetruck.' And then, the firetruck will make it rain from the hose."
Me: The firetruck makes it rain, you say?
Luke: Yes. If there's no fire, firetrucks can make it rain instead.
Me: Why do they do that?
Luke: ...because they're firetrucks...they have to do something with all that water, don't they?

No comments: