Wednesday, June 12, 2013

In Theory

A typical conversation around here...

Luke: I neeed a fork!
Me: Try again.
Luke: Mama, could I please have a fork?
Me: Yes, you may. I can get you one as soon as I finish [whatever I'm doing] or you can get one yourself.
Luke: Mama, I really want you to get me a fork. Could you get me a fork?
Me, starting to feel annoyed: I said yes, as soon as I finish [whatever I'm doing.]
Luke: Mama, can I have a fork please?
Me, fully annoyed now: Luke, chill. I already told you yes. Quit asking and wait patiently.


A conversation today, while eating our picnic lunch...

Luke: I neeeeed that fork!
Me: Try again.
Luke: Mama, can I please have that fork?
Me: Yes, you may. I only brought one, so you'll have to wait while I put some food on Weston's plate and then I'll give it to you.
Luke: I really want that fork, Mama.
Me, starting to feel annoyed: Haven't you already asked me about the fork?
Luke: Yes.
Me: And?
Luke: You said yes, after you put food on Weston's plate.
Me: And now what are you supposed to do?
Luke: Sit and wait patiently and not ask anymore.

...The space between knowing the rules and following them is vast.

No comments: