Yesterday, I had dinner with a friend who is the parent of a teenager and she reminded me of just how fast this time goes and how very soon the boys won't need (um...want?) me around as much. In the interest of appreciating the quiet moments, here are a few that we've enjoyed here today.
1. Weston telling me, "That is not awesome," when I offered him Swiss cheese instead of Cheddar.
2. Luke instructing me to "Be a Golden Eagle, Mama. Just BE one. Fly!"
3. The two-block walk from preschool to our car, during which we stopped to look at the flowers and blow dandelion fluff and pick up every stick we saw.
4. The sheet that came home from preschool that had Luke's height and weight from September and from May. They've overestimated his height by an inch, when compared with the "official height" we got at the doctor's office last week. When I pointed out the discrepancy, Luke puffed out his chest and exclaimed, "That's because I've grown every night and day!"
5. Weston riding down the stairs on my back and calling himself a backpack.
6. The sheer delight that occurred when I told Luke that today is Wednesday because he has been looking forward to Kids' Night at our favorite Mexican restaurant for the past two weeks.
7. The fact that we get to go outside in 15 and 20 minute increments, courtesy of Elsa. This is perfect because it is 91 degrees out right now and if we stayed out for any longer, we would die of heat exhaustion and/or being attacked by enormous swarms of mosquitoes. 15-20 minutes gives us just enough time to feel like we're getting outside and makes us appreciate our (somewhat cooler) house when we come back in.
8. Weston needing to wash his entire body in the sink because the sunscreen/bug repellant oil made half the sand in the sandbox stick to him.
9. The confirmation that Luke is, indeed, my child when I asked him what he wants to do this summer and he rattled off six different restaurants where he would like to eat. Yup, that's how I plan out my vacations, too.
10. Both kids huddled together around an old, non-functional cell phone, talking animatedly about the video they were pretending to watch. (It involved a snake and a crocodile trying to eat one another, they said.)
1. Weston telling me, "That is not awesome," when I offered him Swiss cheese instead of Cheddar.
2. Luke instructing me to "Be a Golden Eagle, Mama. Just BE one. Fly!"
3. The two-block walk from preschool to our car, during which we stopped to look at the flowers and blow dandelion fluff and pick up every stick we saw.
4. The sheet that came home from preschool that had Luke's height and weight from September and from May. They've overestimated his height by an inch, when compared with the "official height" we got at the doctor's office last week. When I pointed out the discrepancy, Luke puffed out his chest and exclaimed, "That's because I've grown every night and day!"
5. Weston riding down the stairs on my back and calling himself a backpack.
6. The sheer delight that occurred when I told Luke that today is Wednesday because he has been looking forward to Kids' Night at our favorite Mexican restaurant for the past two weeks.
7. The fact that we get to go outside in 15 and 20 minute increments, courtesy of Elsa. This is perfect because it is 91 degrees out right now and if we stayed out for any longer, we would die of heat exhaustion and/or being attacked by enormous swarms of mosquitoes. 15-20 minutes gives us just enough time to feel like we're getting outside and makes us appreciate our (somewhat cooler) house when we come back in.
8. Weston needing to wash his entire body in the sink because the sunscreen/bug repellant oil made half the sand in the sandbox stick to him.
9. The confirmation that Luke is, indeed, my child when I asked him what he wants to do this summer and he rattled off six different restaurants where he would like to eat. Yup, that's how I plan out my vacations, too.
10. Both kids huddled together around an old, non-functional cell phone, talking animatedly about the video they were pretending to watch. (It involved a snake and a crocodile trying to eat one another, they said.)
1 comment:
Golden Eagle may be my favorite Luke line. ever.
Post a Comment