I've recently stumbled upon the holy grail of parenting--the secret to getting (my) kids to clean a room. I had been appealing to their sense of order and reason, when really, I should have been appealing to their sense of competition...
Me: Someone needs to pick up all the Legos in this room.
Luke: Not me!
Weston: Not me!
Me: Yes, one of you.
Luke: Weston, you do it.
Weston: No, you do it.
Luke: No, YOU!
Weston: No, YOU!!
Me: Hey! Stop yelling. You can each pick up 20 pieces. Ready? Set? Go!
[1 minute later]
Me: I'm so glad to see all the Legos back in the bucket!
Luke: I picked up 57 Legos. 57! By myself!
Me: Wow!
Weston: Hey, no fair! I only got 4. I need to clean more!
Me: Um...not a problem. Let's clean up the stuffed animals!
Weston: I'm going to get them ALLLLLL!
Luke: No, I am!
Me: [grin]
Me: Someone needs to pick up all the Legos in this room.
Luke: Not me!
Weston: Not me!
Me: Yes, one of you.
Luke: Weston, you do it.
Weston: No, you do it.
Luke: No, YOU!
Weston: No, YOU!!
Me: Hey! Stop yelling. You can each pick up 20 pieces. Ready? Set? Go!
[1 minute later]
Me: I'm so glad to see all the Legos back in the bucket!
Luke: I picked up 57 Legos. 57! By myself!
Me: Wow!
Weston: Hey, no fair! I only got 4. I need to clean more!
Me: Um...not a problem. Let's clean up the stuffed animals!
Weston: I'm going to get them ALLLLLL!
Luke: No, I am!
Me: [grin]
No comments:
Post a Comment