Most of the country was watching football last weekend--good game? fun commercials?--and on any other year, that's exactly what we would have been doing, too. But this year, we went to see some baby goats. Because come on, how do you pass up newborn goats? Now see, the email that arrived from the goat farm said that new goats were being born and that the farm was planning an open barn event, but what I didn't realize is that new goats were in the actual process of BEING BORN. At the moment of the open barn. So that was...an experience. My favorite part of that experience, by the way, was this exchange:
Luke: Is that goat eating MEAT?!
McMoose: Um. It's eating its placenta.
Luke: What's a placenta?
*Every kid in the vicinity stares at McMoose as he explains what a placenta is.*
My takeaway from that experience is that (a) baby goats are surprisingly large and if I had to choose to be a non-human animal, I think I'd prefer to be a kangaroo or a panda, both of which have teeny tiny babies and (b) next year, we'll stick with the March open barn, by which time all the goats have been on the outside for at least a week. (And (c) I'm crossing "Farmer" off my list of potential future occupations because no.)
No comments:
Post a Comment