Tuesday, August 11, 2009

A Full Turnaround

Since Luke hit the big 0-3 last Friday, we decided to go get his 3 month pictures taken on Saturday. Now. I should preface this whole post by saying that McMoose? Definitely not into pictures. In fact, other than engagement and wedding pictures, I can count on one hand the number of pictures I have of the two of us since we started dating FOUR YEARS AGO. And apparently, his memories of childhood are tarnished by the fact that every once in a while, his parents "forced" him to put on a sailor suit and sit through family portraits. Oh, the cruelty.

So of course, he was very much against the whole 3 month portrait thing. I believe he used all of the following arguments:
1. NO ONE gets portraits of their babies.
2. ALL portraits suck.
3. He could take pictures that look just as good as any of those portrait studios.
4. Sailor suits are awful.
5. Oh, the unbearable expense.
6. Did he mention the awful, terrible, dreadfulness of portraits? And the fact that they suck out innocent babies' souls? Did I WANT to be left with a soul-less baby?

Somehow, we managed to navigate through two full days of grousing about the portraits and on Saturday morning, we both put on black shirts, picked out some cute outfits for the baby and off we went. And then? Something magical happened. The photographer came and took the pictures and went off to pick out the good ones for us to preview and McMoose FELL IN LOVE with the portraits. In fact, I think the portraits might very well have temporarily sucked out HIS soul because he went from "Portraits are awful and expensive and just no damn good" to "Hey, let's get the $300 package."

(As it happened, I retained full ownership of both my soul and my common sense and we left the store having spent WAY less than $300.)

((How much do you want to bet that arguments 1-6 will resurface when it's time for the kid's 6 month pictures?))

(((Luke didn't wear a sailor suit, but he DID wear a romper with a picture of a crab on it. Does that count?)))

No comments: