Saturday, September 25, 2010

Webster's For Mamas

Luke has a lot of words. About 150, in fact. You'd think this would make it easier to communicate with him. Below are some examples of why you'd be wrong.
  • Deck-deck = necklace
  • Wawa = flower
  • Tar = car. And star. And, oddly enough, seashell.
  • Tuck = truck. And duck.
  • Tuck-tuck = Tick tock (his favorite book)
  • Mama = Mama.
  • Mamama = Vroom, vroom.
  • Mamamama = Tumble Bumble (his other favorite book)
  • Nya-nya = night-night. And Yannai (elephant in Tamil).
  • Ah-dun = all done. And airplane.
  • Shh = snake. And smoke. And anything with wavy lines on it.
On the other hand, his vocabulary does allow for things like this to happen:
Me: Luke, where are my keys?
L: No-noooo. (Translation: I don't know.)
Me: Did you take them from the counter?
L: Es. (Translation: Yes.)
Me: So where are they now?
L: No-nooooo. Tada. (Translation: Toto)
Me: Toto does not have my keys.
L: Buck. (Translation: bucket.)
Me: What? I really don't think they're in a bucket. Where are they?
L: No-nooo.

After 5 more minutes of searching, I found the keys sitting in a bucket in the Dog's cage. Next time, I'll just listen to the kid in the first place.

No comments: