Thursday, November 4, 2010

Baby Geniuses

Sometimes, I think one-year-olds understand way more than I expect. For instance:
  • About a month ago, I was explaining to a woman that Other Baby wasn't my child. Other Baby chose that very moment to look up at me and say, "Mama?"
  • Last week, a woman at storytime was saying something about how Other Baby wasn't walking yet and I was trying to explain to her that yes, Other Baby walks. Very well, in fact. It's just that he had chosen to crawl for the duration of that particular conversation and as soon as the woman walked away, he went back to walking like a pro. (Why, Other Baby? Why?)
  • I handed Luke the car keys yesterday to keep him quiet while I was getting Other Baby out of the car. As I was doing it, I told him that Other Baby was asleep and we had to whisper. He responded by pushing the panic button on my car keys.
  • They both know they're not supposed to touch certain things: the trash can, the Wii, the DVD player, etc. For the past 20 minutes, they've been poking said objects with their drumsticks. And then looking at me with evil grins. Because technically, I suppose they aren't touching them?
  • I've told them time and again not to throw food off the table. So now, they try to sneak food into their laps instead. And I say "try" because they're about as subtle as a pair of Mack trucks.
If laughter is the key to a long life, I'm living to 110, easy.

No comments: