Friday, June 3, 2011

The Hopper Special

I know that when I was pregnant with Luke, there were a million things I wanted to say about the pregnancy and about Luke and this time, I haven't dedicated nearly as much time to talking about pregnancy. Or at least, not on this blog. Because goodness knows I talk about it constantly in real life.

Part of the reason is that this pregnancy has been so easy. Very little morning sickness, no horrible, constant contractions like I had last time, no gigantic swollen ankles (yet!) It has been--dare I say it?--pleasant. Enjoyable, even. I mean, other than the part where I've gained a million pounds and can't roll over in bed, but I was pretty much expecting that.

But you know what has taken me by surprise? The fact that, while Hopper moves around a lot, he doesn't act like a crazy jumping bean 24-7. Which is to say, he sleeps from time to time. And he doesn't care for it when he's woken up. At my last two midwife appointments, they wiggled his head to make sure that it was, in fact, his head and not his bottom, and boy howdy, was he displeased with that. Have you ever housed an annoyed fetus who holds a grudge? Yeah. It's fun. I'm hoping that some of the calmness will translate to life outside the womb and that he might sleep on the outside, too. Of course, given the fact that his big brother already pokes at him and says, "All done night-night, Hopper," I'm guessing he's not going to get too much opportunity for uninterrupted rest.

So far, I know that Hopper sucks his thumb, likes to sleep (sometimes), gets angry easily, and might be...large. Here's looking forward to getting to know a lot more in a couple of months.

No comments: