We went camping a couple of weeks ago with a group of other families. There were a total of ten adults, six preschoolers, four infants, two dogs, and approximately eight-hundred-and-twelve ticks.
We had fully intended to drop the Dog off at the kennel, but when we got there on Saturday afternoon, we came to the realization that they were only open on Saturday MORNINGS. That would've been a good thing for the receptionist to mention on the phone, but whatevs--not like I'm bitter or anything. And so, the Dog got to ride on my lap for an hour to the campsite. (Riding to the campsite: annoying, but doable. Riding home with a wet, stinky, tick-covered dog: not an experience I want to repeat ever again.)
So we got to the campsite, set up our tent, and then spent the next two days fishing rocks out of Weston's mouth. Oh, there was a brief reprieve on Sunday, when we went wading in a creek. For about 20 minutes, I got to pull algae out of his mouth instead. Luke had a fabulous time running around, collecting sticks, and poking at various bugs and plants, but true to form, I'm pretty sure his favorite activity was helping with the dish-washing process after every meal. Ah, and eating toasted marshmallows, of course.
The Dog, for his part, spent the weekend being annoyed by the bugs and the dirt and the rain and the hard, hard ground. Apparently, next time, he would like for us to bring a fluffy mattress and maybe a fan, just for him. We tried to make it up to him by feeding him all the hot dogs that the kids dropped on the ground, but I'm pretty sure he still holds it against us.
I spent most of the weekend wanting to go home, but now that we've tested the waters of camping-with-two-kids, I think I'm totally up for doing it again. In a few months. When Weston is walking and hopefully not putting everything in his mouth. And definitely, definitely without the Dog.
We had fully intended to drop the Dog off at the kennel, but when we got there on Saturday afternoon, we came to the realization that they were only open on Saturday MORNINGS. That would've been a good thing for the receptionist to mention on the phone, but whatevs--not like I'm bitter or anything. And so, the Dog got to ride on my lap for an hour to the campsite. (Riding to the campsite: annoying, but doable. Riding home with a wet, stinky, tick-covered dog: not an experience I want to repeat ever again.)
So we got to the campsite, set up our tent, and then spent the next two days fishing rocks out of Weston's mouth. Oh, there was a brief reprieve on Sunday, when we went wading in a creek. For about 20 minutes, I got to pull algae out of his mouth instead. Luke had a fabulous time running around, collecting sticks, and poking at various bugs and plants, but true to form, I'm pretty sure his favorite activity was helping with the dish-washing process after every meal. Ah, and eating toasted marshmallows, of course.
The Dog, for his part, spent the weekend being annoyed by the bugs and the dirt and the rain and the hard, hard ground. Apparently, next time, he would like for us to bring a fluffy mattress and maybe a fan, just for him. We tried to make it up to him by feeding him all the hot dogs that the kids dropped on the ground, but I'm pretty sure he still holds it against us.
I spent most of the weekend wanting to go home, but now that we've tested the waters of camping-with-two-kids, I think I'm totally up for doing it again. In a few months. When Weston is walking and hopefully not putting everything in his mouth. And definitely, definitely without the Dog.
No comments:
Post a Comment