Thursday, March 21, 2013

Discussing Theater

Luke and I went to a musical at a local high school today and it was his first experience with live theater. We made it through the first act and left during the intermission. I suppose I could have chosen a better introduction than "The Little Shop of Horrors," but it did lead to some very interesting conversation on the drive home.

Me: So how did you like that play?
Luke: Good. But the plant scared me.
Me: What scared you about the plant?
Luke: That it wanted food.
Me: Do you know what kind of food that plant wanted?
Luke: It ate people! It was a monster plant, I think.
Me: Is that why you wanted to leave?
Luke: Yes! I thought it was going to eat me. That's why I wanted to leave. If you think something might eat you, you should always, always leave.


Luke: That plant talked. Real plants don't talk, but that plant was real and it talked. And it was really big. Plants aren't that big.
Me: True. It was much bigger than the plants in our house and it talked. So do you think it was real?
Luke: Well, it moved. Real things move, so it was real.
Me: I think it moved because there was a person in there.
Luke: I didn't see it eat anyone.
Me: No, not someone it ate. I mean, I think the plant was just a costume that someone made and there was a person wearing the costume. I make costumes for you sometimes and you wear them, remember? I think the plant is like that.
Luke: But that means the person in the costume really became a plant.
Me: When you wear your Thing 2 costume, you're still Luke, right? You don't really turn into Thing 2.
Luke: I do! Because when anyone looks at me, they can see that I look like Thing 2.
Me: But inside the costume, you know you're really Luke.
Luke: No! I know I'm really Thing 2. And when Weston wears a dinosaur costume, he really becomes a dinosaur.
Me: Are you sure about that? Has he ever tried to eat you?
Luke: No...
Me: If he were a real dinosaur, wouldn't he try to eat you?
Luke: No. Because he's a dinosaur that eats trees and plants.


Me: Do you think that someday, you might be in a play?
Luke: No. Because it's too long.
Me: Right, but if you were in the play, you wouldn't have to just sit there the whole time. You'd be on the stage, singing and dancing and running around.
Luke: Yes. But I'd have to do that when I grew up. And that is not my plan for when I grow up.
Me: What is your plan?
Luke: I'm hoping to be a construction worker, remember?

2 comments:

megger said...

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

megger said...

That was great!