Thursday, March 21, 2013

Parental Involvement

Luke's preschool is big on parental involvement, which is great because I want to be involved! Really, I do. Except I didn't realize how serious all this truly was. Last Sunday, we got an email informing us that this week is Teacher Appreciation week and could we please (a) have our kids make a card for all their teachers and bring it in on Monday and (b) sign up for one of about 30 different things we could do for the teachers.

Ok, so making homemade cards? Takes at least two days around here. One to gather materials and one to motivate Luke to actually make them. Generally speaking, he prefers to spend 45 minutes making one card and then be done with the activity, so making multiple cards requires considerable time management assistance from us. Plus, I didn't read the email until he was already in bed, so obviously, no cards were made. (For about 47 seconds, we considered letting Weston make some spin-art and passing it off as Luke's work, but, uh, not the best precedent to set, right?)

So then, I went to the online sign-up form to pick something else we could do. Apparently, people are ON TOP of this kind of thing. By the time I looked through the form, six hours had passed since the email was sent out, so of course, only three tasks remained: (1) bring flowers from your garden; (2) bring gluten-free muffins from Whole Foods the next morning; and (3) bring sandwiches on Wednesday. In case you haven't noticed, it's March. A cold March. The only flowers I have in my yard are the half-frozen daffodils and a couple of dandelions. Strike Option One. The nearest Whole Foods is about eight miles away, so I would have had to wake up even earlier than my normal 6 am in order to drive there and pick up the muffins the next day. Strike Option Two. So Option Three it was. Except that of course, Wednesday was a teacher workday, which meant that Luke didn't have school, so we got to go buy sandwiches and drive them all the way to school, which is a good 20-25 minutes from our house, on a day when we wouldn't otherwise need to be there. So awesome.

Things I learned from this experience:
-Check email more frequently.
-Look at sign-up forms IMMEDIATELY upon receipt to avoid sandwich duty again.
-In case you fail at lessons one and two, note that most delis require 24-hour notice to put together a sandwich platter.
-In case you fail at the 24-hour notice, you can trick Quizno's into making a "sandwich platter" for you by just ordering six sandwiches and having them wrap each half separately.

How many years until the kids are in college?

1 comment:

megger said...

That's real serious.

What would be the consequences for "none of the above"??

Because that's what I would want to do...and this coming from the girl who's looking for teacher jobs at the moment....

And a teacher "work day" at the preschool level?? That's some serious lesson planning.