I've noticed some stark differences in my parenting between Kid 1 and Kid 2.
Sleep
The first time, I read the books, I scheduled activities around his naps, I tried all manner of things to get him to sleep "like he's supposed to." The second time? He slept. I slept. Sometimes, we slept at the same time. Those times were magical. The books were used to prop the door open so the cats wouldn't scratch on a closed door right as we were drifting off. At some point, he slept through the night and moved out of our room and started falling asleep on our own. I don't remember exactly when those points were. I take no credit for any of it.
Food
First time: I steamed, pureed, and worried over his first foods. I made sure all his meals were perfectly balanced. Second time: who needs to steam or puree when you can just hand your kid a piece of food from your plate?! He figured it out. He eats all of the things. Again, no credit here.
Preschool:
With Luke, I had a preschool spreadsheet. It listed different programs in the area, their reviews, their distance from home, the cost, and what was special about their program. Weston got none of that. He goes where Luke went. He loves it way more than Luke ever did. He kisses everyone. Guess it was a good choice.
Teacher conferences:
With Luke, McMoose and I would consult the night before, come up with questions and concerns, and I'd clear my schedule so I could go to them. Weston has them coming up tomorrow and I'm grumpily looking at my calendar, thinking, "Seriously? Why am I leaving another commitment early and driving all the way across town for this? He's Weston. He's awesome. I already know that! Can't the teacher just email me her notes or something?" (I'm still going. Mostly out of second-time parent guilt.)
School
When Luke was about two, I started researching our various options for Elementary school. Pros, cons, distance, special things about the school, whatever. Like with preschool, Weston will probably do whatever Luke is doing at the time, at least at first. Like with preschool, he will probably love it and kiss all of the people. That might be slightly more problematic as he gets older.
Poor Weston. And also, lucky Weston.
Sleep
The first time, I read the books, I scheduled activities around his naps, I tried all manner of things to get him to sleep "like he's supposed to." The second time? He slept. I slept. Sometimes, we slept at the same time. Those times were magical. The books were used to prop the door open so the cats wouldn't scratch on a closed door right as we were drifting off. At some point, he slept through the night and moved out of our room and started falling asleep on our own. I don't remember exactly when those points were. I take no credit for any of it.
Food
First time: I steamed, pureed, and worried over his first foods. I made sure all his meals were perfectly balanced. Second time: who needs to steam or puree when you can just hand your kid a piece of food from your plate?! He figured it out. He eats all of the things. Again, no credit here.
Preschool:
With Luke, I had a preschool spreadsheet. It listed different programs in the area, their reviews, their distance from home, the cost, and what was special about their program. Weston got none of that. He goes where Luke went. He loves it way more than Luke ever did. He kisses everyone. Guess it was a good choice.
Teacher conferences:
With Luke, McMoose and I would consult the night before, come up with questions and concerns, and I'd clear my schedule so I could go to them. Weston has them coming up tomorrow and I'm grumpily looking at my calendar, thinking, "Seriously? Why am I leaving another commitment early and driving all the way across town for this? He's Weston. He's awesome. I already know that! Can't the teacher just email me her notes or something?" (I'm still going. Mostly out of second-time parent guilt.)
School
When Luke was about two, I started researching our various options for Elementary school. Pros, cons, distance, special things about the school, whatever. Like with preschool, Weston will probably do whatever Luke is doing at the time, at least at first. Like with preschool, he will probably love it and kiss all of the people. That might be slightly more problematic as he gets older.
Poor Weston. And also, lucky Weston.
No comments:
Post a Comment