Friday, July 31, 2015

Fun-Loving Four!

Weston turned four a week ago and he's quite pleased with himself for it. We spent the two weeks surrounding his birthday hosting out-of-town visitors and I think that might have been the very best present we could have given him. He loved every moment of having extra people around and he did his best to entertain us all.

If there's one adjective that best describes him, it's "persistent." At any given moment, he has an agenda of his own and he really doesn't care what anyone else might happen to think about it. When asked to do such-and-such or to refrain from doing this-and-that, his typical response is something along the lines of, "I wanted to since I like to." It really is unfathomable to him that he should be required to change his plans for something as mundane as accommodating a parental edict. Unlike his brother, he does not enjoy being quizzed and he absolutely will not "perform" for anyone, choosing instead to answer us with, "Bler-zoo-zim!" His keen sense of the absurd serves him well.

He is a loving, demonstrative child who gives out constant hugs and kisses--and yes, sometimes licks as well.) When he senses that I am less than enthusiastic about something he has done, he comes and tells me that he likes me. (His goal is to get out of trouble and to be honest, his tactic works embarrassingly well. It's difficult to continue to fuss at a person who's looking at you with adoring eyes, telling you that they like you so, so, so, so, so, so, SO much.) When asked what his favorite {insert any category here} is, his unfailing response is to consider the question for a moment and then say, "I like everything." I think it's pretty accurate, too. (That being said, if you really press him, he will eventually admit to preferring pink as a color and pandas as an animal.) He follows his brother around, wanting to be included in everything he does, even when Luke is annoying him to death. He follows Other Boy around too, and believes he can do no wrong. He loves Another Baby dearly--actually, he loves most people dearly.

We've spent a lot of time in the pool this summer, and he is learning to tolerate getting his face wet. He is working on overcoming his deep distrust of wheeled things and will sometimes attempt to ride (ie, be pulled around on) his bike or his scooter. However, he'd happily spend his entire day running around with sticks, pulling up bricks from our walkway, "planting" seeds from random weeds in the garden, doing science experiments (most of which involve food coloring and baking soda), and creating stories for and about his many beloved stuffed animals. His favorite stuffed animals happen in "Mama and baby" pairs and he is constantly searching for bigger or smaller versions of animals that he already owns. He has assigned names and personalities to all his favorite animals and when he misplaces one of them, he tears his bed apart, loudly calling the animal's name the whole time. Last night, after we had put him to bed, I heard him yelling, "Brown! Brownnnnn! Where are you? Come out here!" (Brown, of course, is a red-tailed panda. Her mother is named Red-tail and was apparently distressed that Brown had gone missing. I got sucked into the drama and went in to help with the search and rescue mission; my reward was witnessing the teary reunion between two stuffed red pandas. The things we do for love.)

I am looking forward to the changes that this next year will bring, but hoping that Weston retains his persistence, his enthusiasm, his love for everyone and everything he encounters, and his total goofiness.


1 comment:

Linda said...

Yes, I think endearing and "keen sense of the absurd" describe him well!