So the abacus. Have you ever used one? I hadn't really, but our math curriculum is wonderful and hands-on and one of the many manipulatives that are used is the abacus. And I like it, really. Or...I like the idea of it. I'm sure it helps children learn the math concepts behind the computations that they do and Luke has taken to it with great ease. In fact, every child who passes through our school room has spent some time being fascinated with the abacus. So I like it, in theory.
The reality of the abacus, however, is far less rosy. See, I thought I knew how to use the thing. After all, I had taught the child, hadn't I? Turns out that you can know how to use a thing without actually being able to use it.
Luke: Mama, I'll do the problems on the board and you do them on the abacus and then, we can see if we got the same answers.
Me: Good idea!
L: And we can race!
Me: Sure, why not.
**Several minutes later**
L: Did you get 8,301?
Me: Uhh...no...I got 8,401. Let's check the answer book.
L: Look! It's 8,301! I was right!
Me: Huh.
L: I suspect that what you did wrong was that when you traded a hundred for the tens, you forgot to put the hundred back.
Me: Oh. Right.
L: Maybe you should do a two-handed trade. You told me that would help, remember?
Me: Yeeeessss, I remember. I'll do that next time.
**Several minutes later**
L: Did you get 1039?
Me: No.
After repeating this conversation approximately fifteen times, I have decided that although I am a relatively intelligent individual who can, in fact, subtract large numbers, I simply cannot work the abacus. All the tips and tricks that I told Luke to help him remember fly out of my brain when I try to use the fool thing. It's a humbling moment when your kid looks at you and says, "I can do this and I'm only six. How come you can't, Mama?" (It's also an infuriating moment. A moment that requires you to take deep breaths and work hard to keep the huffiness out of your voice as you explain that people learn things at different times.)
The reality of the abacus, however, is far less rosy. See, I thought I knew how to use the thing. After all, I had taught the child, hadn't I? Turns out that you can know how to use a thing without actually being able to use it.
Luke: Mama, I'll do the problems on the board and you do them on the abacus and then, we can see if we got the same answers.
Me: Good idea!
L: And we can race!
Me: Sure, why not.
**Several minutes later**
L: Did you get 8,301?
Me: Uhh...no...I got 8,401. Let's check the answer book.
L: Look! It's 8,301! I was right!
Me: Huh.
L: I suspect that what you did wrong was that when you traded a hundred for the tens, you forgot to put the hundred back.
Me: Oh. Right.
L: Maybe you should do a two-handed trade. You told me that would help, remember?
Me: Yeeeessss, I remember. I'll do that next time.
**Several minutes later**
L: Did you get 1039?
Me: No.
After repeating this conversation approximately fifteen times, I have decided that although I am a relatively intelligent individual who can, in fact, subtract large numbers, I simply cannot work the abacus. All the tips and tricks that I told Luke to help him remember fly out of my brain when I try to use the fool thing. It's a humbling moment when your kid looks at you and says, "I can do this and I'm only six. How come you can't, Mama?" (It's also an infuriating moment. A moment that requires you to take deep breaths and work hard to keep the huffiness out of your voice as you explain that people learn things at different times.)
2 comments:
I don't know who to be proud of you - you or Luke. Know what, both!!!!
-d
As you can see, I can't even type - let alone abacus :-)
-d
Post a Comment