I love advice. Especially unsolicited advice. ESPECIALLY unsolicited advice given by people who have no experience with the topic that they're giving you advice about. Yeah, that's the BEST KIND. Today, for example, I had a meeting and as usual, little Bug went with me. The person I was meeting with has no children and very little experience with other people's children. As usual, the talk turned to whether I missed school (I wholeheartedly do NOT), whether I wished I were working (again, a definite no), and whether I was happy being home with Luke (very much yes).
Apparently, my answers were less than satisfactory because she then informed me that at some point, I would have to "let go" because I couldn't be attached at the hip him when he's 18. Wow, REALLY? Gee, I had no idea.
It seems to me that everyone who has any advice to give about this whole parenting endeavor feels the need to follow it up with "or else, he'll be doing that FOREVER!" Really? Forever? If I rock my 6-month-old to sleep, I'll have to move my rocking chair into his dorm room? If I don't put him in daycare by the time he's 1, he'll be living in my basement when he's 43? Because if that's the case, I'd better start teaching the kid how to drive, lest he expect me to chauffeur him to his doctor's appointments for the rest of his life.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Yeah dude, remember - opinions are like arseholes: everybody has them. (ok that came from my grad school advisor!)
Post a Comment