Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Anatomy Of An Illness

Luke has been sick for the past two days, which doesn't seem like a long time until you're sitting there at 3 am on the second consecutive night of getting Very Little Sleep with a baby who is on HIS second consecutive night of getting Very Little Sleep and who, as an added bonus, has a 103 degree fever that WILL NOT respond to medication. I was wondering when his first real sickness would happen and I am so, so glad that it was now and not when he was younger and--let's be perfectly honest here--generally grumpier.

And as a person who has had more than her fair share of colds, I was very surprised that baby illnesses are so different from, you know, normal PEOPLE illnesses. Basically, the last two days have gone something like this:
-Coughing.
-Sneezing.
-Not sleeping.
-Spiking (what I would consider) high fevers.
-Not sleeping.
-Nursing incessantly, then refusing to nurse, then nursing incessantly, then refusing to nurse, repeat, repeat, repeat.
-NOT SLEEPING.
-Refusing to eat anything except processed Baby Junk Food.
-And did I mention the not sleeping?

Here's hoping that he doesn't get sick again for, oh, at least another 18 years.

3 comments:

Nell said...

Hope he's feeling better soon! And that you get some rest too!

Rachel Ratliff said...

Poor Luke! Kids can spike pretty high fevers. When Ryan had the antibiotic resistant double ear infections, he maintained a 105 fever for 4 days. It was ridiculous! Follow your gut on fevers, and don't overdose on Tylenol...that stuff will destroy your liver (probably one of the worst things you can overdose on because it can't be pumped from your stomach). Hope Luke gets better soon!

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear Luke is sick. I hope he feels better soon and they you all get some rest. Sam and I are experiencing that now. Sam just can't seem to sleep. He is sooooo uncomfortable.
We are thinking about you guys.