I woke up in quite the snit today. (Now there's a word that gets vastly underused: snit.) It was 30 minutes earlier than I expected to wake up, and for some reason, Luke was bouncing around his crib and babbling LOUDLY over the monitor. (I don't think he has a quiet volume just yet. So far, everything he does, be it laughing or babbling or crying or burping is LOUD.) So I turned off the monitor, dragged myself out of bed, tripped over a cat, tripped over a dog, grumbled all the way to the nursery, got Luke out of the crib, grumbled all the way back to bed, tripped over the other cat, and finally got back under the covers.
Of course, Luke took this to mean that I was trying to put him back to sleep, and he didn't WANT to go back to sleep, so the happy babbling turned into enraged, high-pitched shrieking, and right that moment, any hopes I had of waking up slowly and peacefully were shattered. (Any hopes McMoose had of doing the same were also shattered, but somehow, he manages to handle these situations with grace and patience, while I moan about how all I want is 10 more minutes of sleep, IS THAT SO MUCH TO ASK FOR?)
And when I got in the shower, I ran out of hot water right when I started shampooing my hair. And then, the Dog stepped on me and I hit my (already hurting) wrist on the doorjamb and the baby whined at me while I was trying to get dressed and I could not, for the life of me, imagine how I was going to survive the rest of this day.
Until I remembered reading something the other day about how a woman noticed that if she expected to have a bad, overwhelming day, she invariably did. So I made the conscious effort to smile at McMoose and coo at the baby and pet the dog. And by 9 o'clock, my day had taken a drastic turn for the better. And furthermore, so had Luke's--I don't know if he sensed my mood or just enjoyed having his playful, laughing Mama back, but his whininess disappeared and he has been the picture of glee all day long.
Now if only I could remember this the next time I get woken up too early...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Anisha, this sounds like something I teach in one of my workshops. Many times a day you have the choice to be closed fisted (frustrated or worse), open handed (calm) or limp wristed (apathetic).
We must make a conscious effort to make the right choice.
I hope you have a wonderful day tomorrow. :-)
Very cool, Nish. (more fun to say than Mar, actually). mmm maybe I'll watch Mary Tyler Moore today. :)
Post a Comment