We had a snow storm on Saturday, and for once, I'm not snickering as I say "snow storm." This was, by far, the most snow I've seen in the 4 winters I've been in North Carolina, which is to say that there was no grass visible through the snow. And now, a good 3 days later, there's STILL snow--okay, ice--on the ground.
As a northerner, I always scoffed at North Carolinian's penchant to drive off the road in half an inch of snow, but this time? I finally got it. It isn't the SNOW, per se, that causes the aforementioned driving off the road, but the fact that there's maybe one snow plow in the entire Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area and much of the time, the driver of that snow plow seems to be on break. Which is to say that maybe, if we're lucky, one lane on the big roads might get cleared off, but small roads and parking lots stay winter-wonderlandy for days. And then, because the temperatures go up during the day and back down at night, the snow melts and then re-freezes until you're left with what is essentially a giant ice skating rink.
In any case, this was Luke's first snow and of course, we had to go out and get lots of pictures...
Gotta love the jester hat: 
1 comment:
That's great, Mar! He still needs to come to WI to see the real snow. My mom and I flew down to Orlando because I was on furlough and we soaked in the sun/and some rain. I saw on the news about the snow in Raleigh though and I was wondering how much you got!
Post a Comment