Friday, June 4, 2010

Mama Will Gladly Buy You a Mockingbird If You Would Just GO TO SLEEP

Luke is a good sleeper. Was. Luke was a good sleeper. First of all, I should qualify that statement by saying that in my book, good sleeper = a child who falls asleep easily and who wakes up at a decent hour. He didn't sleep through the night until close to his first birthday and I was fine with that. He has never put himself to sleep without help of some kind (nursing, rocking, patting, whatever) and I was fine with that. Because up until last week, I could nurse him, and then put him in the crib and pat him and within about 15 minutes, he'd be asleep. And I could do this at 10 am, 2:30 pm, and 8:30 or 9 pm and expect him to take 2 90-minute naps and get a total of 10 hours of sleep (even if it was somewhat interrupted) at night. All of these things were fine. All of these things worked.

Then, we traveled last weekend. Now, we've traveled before with him and he has done just fine, but last weekend, there was no crib and the bed in our room was kind of tiny and so we thought, "Hey, we have a good sleeper. Let's just put him on the floor." Ha. Hahahahahahaha. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

So all weekend, he kicked and yelled and fought sleep. And then, he got a cold when we got back home, so he kicked and yelled and coughed and fought sleep some more. And now, he seems to be over the cold, but the kicking? The yelling? The fighting sleep? Yeah, that's still happening.

Last night, he went to sleep at midnight, after 2-and-a-half hours of the kicking and the screaming and the fighting. So I thought, okay, maybe that means he'll sleep until 9 or 10 this morning. People, he was up at 6. And then, I thought okay, maybe THAT means he'll go down more easily for his morning nap. People. He kicked, screamed, and fought for over. an. hour. And I tried EVERYTHING. Nursing, rocking, singing, patting, bouncing on and exercise ball, putting into baby carrier and walking around. In fact, I tried everything TWICE. And still, he kicked. Screamed. Fought. And I'm pretty sure that at one point, the fool bit my shoulder.

I'm totally thinking of skipping his second nap today and pawning off bedtime to McMoose, just because the thought of doing this TWICE IN ONE DAY is enough to make my soul want to shrivel up and die.

No comments: