I was going to write about our train ride today. But then, today went wildly off-course, so instead, I'll write about how I lost my purse this morning.
Did you know that most mistakes happen when you stray from your routine? So since we're out of town, we have, of course, strayed far from our routine. This morning, I set my purse on the hood of the car while I strapped Luke into the carseat and then, I got in, turned the car on, and drove off. Without ever retrieving the purse from the hood of the car. End result: after several minutes of panic and backtracking, the purse is gone. Along with three debit cards, a passport, a checkbook, a day planner, my driver's license, my social security card, and my green card. Oh, and $100 in cash. (I'd like to point out that (a) I never EVER carry cash and (b) up until this morning, my purse and wallet were in two separate places, but I put them together in order to "Make life easier." If I had just left well enough alone, I would've been out the cash, but I'd have everything else. Sigh.)
As a result of all this foolishness, I spent the morning on the phone with various banks, canceling debit cards and putting up warnings on my accounts and closing out old accounts and opening up new accounts. Did you know that you could do all that over the phone? Because I certainly didn't. And then, I filled out an online police report...did you know you could do that online? Again, it was news to me. (Did you also know that the list of items that you could choose from for the report included such things as "Keepsake mementos," "Mobile home," "Tree," and "Food items--meat?" I mean, really? Who's going to steal your meat? How's someone going to walk off with your TREE? *Shakes head in consternation*)
And since I lost my driver's license, I can't go anywhere and the thing that bothers me the most of this situation is that before I lost the purse, I was on my way to Target to get a bicycle pump to blow up an inflatable pool for Luke and now? He doesn't get to play in the pool. The rest of it--the lost bank account information, the lost social security card and related potential for identity theft, the fuss and bother of replacing all this nonsense--I can deal with all of that, but the loss of the pool is about enough to make me cry. (Ok. So I might not be fully rational at the moment.)
Wednesday, June 23, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I am so sorry for your loss! Losing these items is like losing a member of the family. Here is a thought, when you go to replace your driver's license and ss card, you will need to take at least 2-3 items of proof with you; such as your birth certificate and something with a picture id.
As for the pool, get David to blow it up the manual way when he gets home; that way he can have a headache to match your heart ache.
Again, I am sorry. I pray nothing happens with your identity, etc.
Oh no! I hope things are getting better for you!
Post a Comment