Luke recently mentioned that while we were at the park, 10 minutes went by really fast, but it doesn't seem as fast when we're doing less exciting things. I thought it was the perfect time to introduce the idea of idioms and told him that "Time flies when you're having fun." He interpreted it in a very literal manner, as 4-year-olds like to do, and now, whenever I say something like, "Ok, we have 10 minutes to finish eating, put on our shoes, and get in the car," he replies with, "That's a long time--just make sure you don't have any fun!" And of course, when he says that, it makes me laugh and then, when we're late (as we invariably are,) he accuses me of having too much fun and causing time to go too fast.
Today, we were discussing the merits of lemons and I told him that there's another idiom that goes, "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade."
Luke: What does that mean?
Me: It means the same as that Daniel Tiger song--"When something seems bad, turn it around and find something good." Remember?
Luke: Yes. But what's bad about lemons?
Me: Well, there's not necessarily anything bad about lemons, but a lot of people find them too sour.
Luke: But I looooove sour things, so I looooove lemons. So if life gave me lemons, I'd be really happy!
Me: Yes, I suppose you would.
Luke: But what if you were a person who really loved lemons and life never, ever gave you lemons? There would be nothing good about that.
Me: Yes, that would be disappointing.
Luke: I know! You could go to the grocery store and just buy lemons and then, you'd have them and you wouldn't have to wait for life to give them to you.
Today, we were discussing the merits of lemons and I told him that there's another idiom that goes, "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade."
Luke: What does that mean?
Me: It means the same as that Daniel Tiger song--"When something seems bad, turn it around and find something good." Remember?
Luke: Yes. But what's bad about lemons?
Me: Well, there's not necessarily anything bad about lemons, but a lot of people find them too sour.
Luke: But I looooove sour things, so I looooove lemons. So if life gave me lemons, I'd be really happy!
Me: Yes, I suppose you would.
Luke: But what if you were a person who really loved lemons and life never, ever gave you lemons? There would be nothing good about that.
Me: Yes, that would be disappointing.
Luke: I know! You could go to the grocery store and just buy lemons and then, you'd have them and you wouldn't have to wait for life to give them to you.
No comments:
Post a Comment