Tuesday, September 24, 2013

What's for Lunch?

I was a picky eater as a kid and ever since I came out of that, I've taken it for granted that my kids would probably be picky eaters too. And by "picky eaters," I was expecting that they'd find a favorite food or two and then refuse to eat other things, since that was my M.O. Instead, I've ended up in some insane, alternate universe of kid-eating.

-Weston's current obsession is pickled jalapenos. I cannot make this up. When he declares that he doesn't like something, all I have to do is dip it in the "jalapeno sauce" and he'll eat it right up. The down side of this is that every time I get out the jalapenos, he sits there like a baby bird, mouth wide open, begging for another slice. ("It 'picy! I yike it!")

-Our lunches are pretty open ended most of the time and I'm willing to (help) make separate lunches for each of them. I ask them each to pick a protein, a veggie, a fruit, and a starch and they're getting pretty good at distinguishing which is which. Today, Luke ended up eating leftover grilled lamb, a slice of toast, lima beans, a banana and spinach concoction (which was apparently so delicious that I had to remove him from the kitchen to keep him from licking the blades of the blender,) and frozen spinach right out of the bag. And that right there? Is the reason I'm okay with making separate lunches. If I had to eat that, I might fall over and die.

-And in case you're curious, Weston ate leftover chicken noodle soup, hold the chicken, with some jalapenos added in. So basically, he ate a few noodles and a lot of carrots and jalapenos. And the banana spinach thing and some fake (ie, soy and rice based) cheese. He is well on his way to veganism.

My child self sneers at them in disdain. Heck, even my adult self has a more...discerning...palate. 

No comments: