Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Soooo Biiiiiig!

I know that much of the country is buried under snow, but here in Raleigh, we have a high of nearly 70 today. But since it rained last night, everything was wet and puddley and instead of going to the playground and trying to wrestle two toddlers out of the wet sand box, I decided we'd go play with the trains at the bookstore instead.

So I drive to the bookstore, spot a car doing something that looked like it was pulling out of a parking spot, and start driving towards said spot. Now, the whole time I drove up the aisle (and it wasn't a particularly short aisle), the other car just sat there in the wrong side of the aisle, so (a) it STILL looked like the person had just pulled out and was waiting for me to get out of the aisle so he/she could go on and (b) she was BLOCKING MY PATH by sitting in my side of the aisle. No problem, I just pulled into the spot that I thought she had vacated. Got out of the car. Unbuckled Other Baby and pulled him out of the car seat. And then noticed that this car was now sitting INCHES from my back bumper, parked across the entire aisle so no one else could get by from either direction. My curiosity piqued, I watched with great interest as a short, but highly energetic woman hopped out.

Woman: I had my blinker on!
Me: Excuse me?
Woman: I had my blinker on and you pulled into my spot!
Me: Oh! Oh, I'm so sorry! I didn't see you...(by which I meant that I didn't see her BLINKER, because obviously, I saw THE CAR and had assumed she was vacating the spot.)
Woman: I am big!
Me: Huh?
Woman: I am big for you not to see me!
Me: Oh...kay...
Woman: That was rude. A very rude thing you did! I had my blinker and I AM BIG.
Me: Um. Would you like me to pull out so you can have this spot?
Woman: I think you're too rude!
Me: Ma'am, I'm sorry, but seriously, I didn't know you were waiting for the spot. I thought you were leaving it, and if you want, I can leave the spot so you can have it.
Woman, advancing towards me: No! You are rude!
Me, quickly stuffing Other Baby back in the car and shutting & locking the door because dude, there was a crazy lady getting all up in my personal bubble: Again, I'm sorry, like I said...
Woman: I AM BIIIIIIG! I AM VERY BIIIIIG FOR YOU TO NOT SEE ME!!!!

I should probably mention at this point that one of my pet peeves is being told what I saw or heard or felt. McMoose and I have often had arguments ending with me saying "I KNOW what I said, don't TELL me what I said, it was MY MOUTH that said it, so I KNOW what I said." So I was THISCLOSE to saying something about how I KNEW what I saw and she had no business TELLING ME what I saw because they were MY EYES that saw it, when I realized that engaging crazy with more crazy was probably not the way to go. And after I stood quietly and stared at her for a minute, she got back into her car and went to one of the THREE open spots that were next to me.

I gotta say, something has been missing from my world lately and after this morning, I realized that the thing that was missing was this kind of insane interaction with perfect strangers. When you look like you've got your hands full with two kids who are constantly running in opposite directions, people tend not to engage you in crazy as much anymore. It's good to be back.

1 comment:

megger said...

That's hilarious!!

Jealous about the temps too, btw.