Tuesday, August 14, 2012

No Time for Einstein

Before having kids, the thing that terrified me the most about being a parent was the sleep deprivation. Hands down, I had no interest in it. Now that I'm running on about four years of interrupted nights (because yes, pregnancy insomnia counts as sleep deprivation, too,) I've come to realize that sleep deprivation, I can handle. You know what I can't handle? PRESCHOOLS.

We've been having discussions about all our schooling options, and since we have to start registering for preschool in January, I figured it would be nice to have some idea of which ones sounded interesting to us. Except that then, I started reading some potential preschools' websites, and I have now had a headache for the past three days. Do three-year-olds really need formal curricula? With vocabulary charts and technology training?

Here is a list of words and phrases that I've been seeing a lot of on these websites:
-Training
-Skill-level
-Some sensory play included when relevant (*Head. Exploding.*)
-Literacy in math, science, and social studies
-Vocabulary charts
-Journal writing (Wait. What?!)
-Technology Center

Here are some words and phrases that I would LIKE to see, but haven't been finding as much:
-Explore
-Create
-Dance
-Pretend
-Music
-DAILY sensory play
-Large motor activity
-Discover
-Read!!!

Why is the first list emphasized and the second list devalued? At what point did we start worrying about the skill level that our three-year-olds exhibit in math and science and social studies? I don't want there to be a "book of the month," I want there to be a well-stocked reading corner and teachers who have the time and inclination to sit and read with children, even when it's not officially story time. I'm not interested in "some sensory play when relevant," because they're three. It's ALWAYS relevant. And in my book, at this age, being outside always, always trumps time spent at the "Technology Center." I want them to put on puppet shows and learn how to tell a story and practice taking turns. I want them to discover how much pressure they need to put on their clay to mold it just right. I want them to jump and run and twirl and play instruments and come home exhausted and happy, with paint and mud on their clothes.  That isn't too much to ask for...is it?

1 comment:

David said...

A lot of highly successful people found a vacuum, went about devising methods to fill it and ended up creating an enduring product......