Friday, October 4, 2013

All or Nothing

While driving home after picking Luke up from preschool:

Me: Wow, look at that bus--it has all kinds of colors on it.
Luke: Well, not really. It doesn't have any kind of brown...or gray...or blue.
Me: I didn't say it had every color on it, I said it had all kinds of colors on it.
Luke: Yes, but that's wrong. It doesn't have all the different kinds of colors on it.
Me: All kinds doesn't mean every kind. It just means...a lot of colors.
Luke: All doesn't mean lots. All means all.
Me: In this case, "all kinds" means "lots of kinds of colors."

Later, towards the end of lunch:


Me: Have you eaten all the cucumber slices yet?
Luke: Yes.
Me, walking over and noticing that there are still two cucumber slices on his plate: You have not. I see two of them sitting right there.
Luke: There were eight of them and I ate six already. Six is a lot.
Me: Well, that's true, but I didn't ask if you had eaten a lot. I asked if you had eaten them all.
Luke: I thought we decided that nowadays, "all" means "a lot."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very smart kid

Anonymous said...

LOL, I am rolling in laughter. Oh to be a fly on a wall in your house. I am sure you are waiting with bated breath for adolescence!
Bette