Thursday, February 20, 2014

Car Games

We had a 40 minute drive home this afternoon and about 25 minutes in, Luke started moaning about being bored.

Me: Wanna sing a song?
Luke: Noooo.
Me: Wanna tell me about what you read in your tarantula book?
Luke: Noooooo.
Me: Wanna pick a CD to listen to?
Luke: NOOOOOOOOOO.
Me: ....Wanna play an adding game?
Luke: Oooooh, YES!!

The game we played was this:
1+1=2
2+2=4
4+4=8
8+8=16
....and so on. We continued this until we got to 4096, by which time we were sitting in our driveway.

Me: Ok, we're home. Let's go in.
Luke: Noooo! Let's do 4096+4096.
Me: We can do it inside, after I put Weston in his bed.
Luke: He looks comfortable sleeping in his carseat.
Me: He does not. Inside.
Luke: FINE.

So we go in, I transfer Weston to bed and go back downstairs, only to find Luke sitting at the bottom of the stairs, chanting quietly, "4096, 4096, 4096, 4096."

Of course, we did 4096+4096. Which then led to 8192+8192. Which then led to a completely ridiculous and unrelated discussion about the surface of the Earth, gravity, and the possible existence of aliens on Saturn and Jupiter. ("Well, Mama, there could be aliens there...we haven't ever been there, so how would we know?")

My favorite part of all of this were his exclamations when we got to each new answer--"Awesome!" and "Amazing!" and "Whoa, we got all the way into the thousands! This is so fun!" I want him to always think learning is amazing and fun. Ironically, I'm pretty sure school will cure him of such notions.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Please don't let school kill his curious, eager mind. A 4 year old doing mental math in the thousands and loving it instead of McDonalds!! Are you kiddin me? The marks of a genious for sure. Beautiful mind is all I can think of....Cherish, nurture and give it fodder to grow please.