Our lunch today was a pasta salad with peas, tomatoes, and white beans. The first time the kids saw it, they decided that they were horses and that the pasta and white beans were their oats and the tomatoes and peas were their apples. And then, they took it a step further and asked to sit in the doorways while eating so they could be in their "stables."
I replied that we would be eating at the table and asked them to kindly tailor their game to that reality. After a quick discussion, they decided that they could be cheetahs instead. "Of course, Mama, cheetahs are meat eaters," said Luke, "so I guess that means...the pasta is deer legs, the tomatoes are red blood cells, the beans are the insides of clams, and the peas are the meat of dead porcupines, but without the spikes."
I find myself wishing I had just let them eat in the doorways.
No comments:
Post a Comment