Yesterday evening, after McMoose finished working, we decided to go to a nearby park and explore the possibilities of some walking trails. We never did find the trail we were looking for, but we enjoyed exploring anyhow. We discovered inchworms and spiders, frogs and snakes, a centipede and a chrysalis and entirely too many anthills for my comfort.
As we were heading back toward the car, McMoose took a short detour to follow what he now believes was the path we were looking for the entire time and as Weston snoozed in a baby carrier on my back, Luke and I shifted from one foot to the other, dug our toes into the ground, and enjoyed the breeze.
"Luka," I said, "Did you know that I like you a lot?"
He nodded, and then asked, "What do you like about me?"
The question stopped me for a moment. How do I capture all that I like about this child that grew in my body and the person he's becoming?
"I like how sweet you are," I began, "and I like the way you talk to me about things. I like how funny you are and I like how you pretend to be a dinosaur."
He thought about this for a moment and nodded again. "What else?"
"I like your blue eye and your green eye. I like how you sit with me and read 10 library books in a row. I like the way your hair smells like baby shampoo."
He grinned.
"I like your hand, which is growing every minute and soon, it will be bigger than mine. Did you know that?"
"Yes."
"And I like how very kind you are to your baby. And I like how excited you get when you see interesting things. And I like hearing about what you think about things."
He smiled again, apparently content with this very partial list I had generated and McMoose re-joined us and we went about the rest of our evening, but I am so glad that we had the time and space for this conversation to happen.
Saturday, March 24, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment