There's a lot of big-ness going on around here.
Big Feet. I took Luke shoe shopping today because I noticed that every time he has tried to put on his shoes recently, there has been a lot more hopping, fussing, and requesting help. The reason, as it turns out, is that his feet are two sizes bigger than his current shoes. Oops. We bought him some new shoes then and there and they have real shoelaces in them and he is so excited about learning to tie them. Every time I look down and notice his feet, I think, "Why does he have on big-kid shoes?! Those things are huge!"
Big Milestones. Last weekend, McMoose and I left the kids with my mom and stepdad and had a mini-vacation by the sea. I expected that Weston would have more trouble with it, but he seems to have been fine with it AND he slept through the night both nights that we were gone. Now, he does this from time to time when we're home, too, but for the most part, he was still waking up in the middle of the night and climbing into bed with us. Not a huge deal, but he's getting bigger and kickier, so we decided to try moving him to Luke's room and he has been so excited about sleeping on Luke's bottom bunk that he has stayed in there and slept through the night all week. (Of course, this means that my insomnia has returned and I lie awake until the wee hours of dawn and then I'm grouchy all day. AND I no longer have the convenient excuse of a night-waking toddler to excuse the wakefulness and/or grouchiness.)
Big Attitudes. After spending a weekend away from us, Luke was feeling quite full of himself and was under the impression that he no longer had to listen to us. At various points this week, he has informed us of such things as, "I do what I want and don't do what I don't want," "I am feeling defiant today," and "I do not like that plan."
Big Plans. I told Luke today that I wanted to take a look at his winter clothes so I could see which ones might still fit him and have a better idea of what I need to look for when I randomly search through consignment sales and clearance racks. He asked me if that meant I would need to be in his room during his quiet time and I said yes, to which he replied, "Well, then, you probably shouldn't do it. I usually like to have my quiet times in peace."
Big Jokes. Weston has discovered potty humor. Oh, has he ever. Luke never really went through this particular phase, so this is new to us. He walks around all day, working the word "poo-poo" into every conversation possible and then, he and Luke laugh uproariously.
Big Plants. We planted carrots, tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, and green beans in the garden this year. Based on past experiences and some research, we were expecting some carrots, lots of tomatoes, a reasonable number of peppers, maybe a cucumber or two, and a few green beans. Instead, we have deformed, miniscule carrots, enormous, giant tomato plants with very few tomatoes on them, no peppers to speak of, a cucumber plant that shows no signs of growing cucumbers, but tries to take over the entire garden (including any human beings who get too close and stand too still,) and an insane number of green beans. We've only been picking the beans for the past three weeks or so, but already, we've eaten them with three meals and have one more meal-sized portion sitting in the fridge and three more meal-sized portions sitting in the freezer. Up until this week, we were harvesting once a week, but this week, we had to do it twice because they're growing so fast. If the harvest season really runs through October like it's supposed to, we'll be eating frozen green beans all winter. (Yay!)
Big Feet. I took Luke shoe shopping today because I noticed that every time he has tried to put on his shoes recently, there has been a lot more hopping, fussing, and requesting help. The reason, as it turns out, is that his feet are two sizes bigger than his current shoes. Oops. We bought him some new shoes then and there and they have real shoelaces in them and he is so excited about learning to tie them. Every time I look down and notice his feet, I think, "Why does he have on big-kid shoes?! Those things are huge!"
Big Milestones. Last weekend, McMoose and I left the kids with my mom and stepdad and had a mini-vacation by the sea. I expected that Weston would have more trouble with it, but he seems to have been fine with it AND he slept through the night both nights that we were gone. Now, he does this from time to time when we're home, too, but for the most part, he was still waking up in the middle of the night and climbing into bed with us. Not a huge deal, but he's getting bigger and kickier, so we decided to try moving him to Luke's room and he has been so excited about sleeping on Luke's bottom bunk that he has stayed in there and slept through the night all week. (Of course, this means that my insomnia has returned and I lie awake until the wee hours of dawn and then I'm grouchy all day. AND I no longer have the convenient excuse of a night-waking toddler to excuse the wakefulness and/or grouchiness.)
Big Attitudes. After spending a weekend away from us, Luke was feeling quite full of himself and was under the impression that he no longer had to listen to us. At various points this week, he has informed us of such things as, "I do what I want and don't do what I don't want," "I am feeling defiant today," and "I do not like that plan."
Big Plans. I told Luke today that I wanted to take a look at his winter clothes so I could see which ones might still fit him and have a better idea of what I need to look for when I randomly search through consignment sales and clearance racks. He asked me if that meant I would need to be in his room during his quiet time and I said yes, to which he replied, "Well, then, you probably shouldn't do it. I usually like to have my quiet times in peace."
Big Jokes. Weston has discovered potty humor. Oh, has he ever. Luke never really went through this particular phase, so this is new to us. He walks around all day, working the word "poo-poo" into every conversation possible and then, he and Luke laugh uproariously.
Big Plants. We planted carrots, tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, and green beans in the garden this year. Based on past experiences and some research, we were expecting some carrots, lots of tomatoes, a reasonable number of peppers, maybe a cucumber or two, and a few green beans. Instead, we have deformed, miniscule carrots, enormous, giant tomato plants with very few tomatoes on them, no peppers to speak of, a cucumber plant that shows no signs of growing cucumbers, but tries to take over the entire garden (including any human beings who get too close and stand too still,) and an insane number of green beans. We've only been picking the beans for the past three weeks or so, but already, we've eaten them with three meals and have one more meal-sized portion sitting in the fridge and three more meal-sized portions sitting in the freezer. Up until this week, we were harvesting once a week, but this week, we had to do it twice because they're growing so fast. If the harvest season really runs through October like it's supposed to, we'll be eating frozen green beans all winter. (Yay!)
No comments:
Post a Comment