When I picked Luke up from his first day of kindergarten today, he insisted on walking out to my car without holding the hand of the older child who was supposed to be helping him out, insisted on climbing in himself, insisted on buckling himself in. One day into "big kid school" and he's pretty sure he's grown.
Me: So what did you think of school?
Luke: Awesome.
Me: Did you have a favorite part?
Luke: I liked everything. There were too many things to even remember them all, but they were all good.
Later, upon inspecting his lunch bag:
Me: Um. You didn't eat very much, did you?
Luke: I ate the cheese stick for snack and the blueberries and pretzels for lunch. Never pack berries again because when I open the container, they fall out onto the floor.
Me: And then what?
Luke: The teachers picked them up. Actually, maybe next time I could just ask one of them to open it in the first place.
Me: Maybe so. And why exactly did you only eat a cheese stick, pretzels and blueberries?
Luke: I thought that it would be time to do the next thing, but surprise! At lunch, there were lots of other kids still eating, even after I put my lunch away.
Me: Uh-huh.
Luke: Maybe tomorrow, I can just eat until the teacher rings the bell.
Me: Hey, good idea.
Luke: Will Weston go to this school when he's in kindergarten?
Me: Yes, probably.
Luke: You know, they have a preschool there. He could just go now.
Me: Yes, I know.
Luke: So? Can we do that?
Me: No.
Luke: Aww. Why?
Me: Because kids who go to that preschool go five days a week and I want Weston to only go two days a week.
Luke: Yeah, but Mama? I think Weston will like going five days a week because then, he won't have to wait as long between when he leaves school and when he goes back next time. And also, they HAVE to go five days a week here because if they don't, how will they ever learn Spanish? It would take way, way too long if they only heard Spanish two days a week. And if Weston went here, he could talk in Spanish to me all the time.
Me: So is there a story time at school?
Luke: No. But did you know you can read WHENEVER you want?! It is so awesome!
I fully expect that the kindergarten honeymoon is going to come to an end sometime within the next couple of weeks, but I'll gladly take the happy-for-now transition instead of the tearful transition that some kids endure!
Me: So what did you think of school?
Luke: Awesome.
Me: Did you have a favorite part?
Luke: I liked everything. There were too many things to even remember them all, but they were all good.
Later, upon inspecting his lunch bag:
Me: Um. You didn't eat very much, did you?
Luke: I ate the cheese stick for snack and the blueberries and pretzels for lunch. Never pack berries again because when I open the container, they fall out onto the floor.
Me: And then what?
Luke: The teachers picked them up. Actually, maybe next time I could just ask one of them to open it in the first place.
Me: Maybe so. And why exactly did you only eat a cheese stick, pretzels and blueberries?
Luke: I thought that it would be time to do the next thing, but surprise! At lunch, there were lots of other kids still eating, even after I put my lunch away.
Me: Uh-huh.
Luke: Maybe tomorrow, I can just eat until the teacher rings the bell.
Me: Hey, good idea.
Luke: Will Weston go to this school when he's in kindergarten?
Me: Yes, probably.
Luke: You know, they have a preschool there. He could just go now.
Me: Yes, I know.
Luke: So? Can we do that?
Me: No.
Luke: Aww. Why?
Me: Because kids who go to that preschool go five days a week and I want Weston to only go two days a week.
Luke: Yeah, but Mama? I think Weston will like going five days a week because then, he won't have to wait as long between when he leaves school and when he goes back next time. And also, they HAVE to go five days a week here because if they don't, how will they ever learn Spanish? It would take way, way too long if they only heard Spanish two days a week. And if Weston went here, he could talk in Spanish to me all the time.
Me: So is there a story time at school?
Luke: No. But did you know you can read WHENEVER you want?! It is so awesome!
I fully expect that the kindergarten honeymoon is going to come to an end sometime within the next couple of weeks, but I'll gladly take the happy-for-now transition instead of the tearful transition that some kids endure!
No comments:
Post a Comment