Friday, July 11, 2014

Touristing

 We went to visit my mom and step-dad near DC for a week and for the first time, I was able to do things in the city with both kids by myself. They're old enough to sit still and follow directions and be somewhat reasonable. It hit me at some point during that trip that I no longer have a baby or even a toddler--I have a preschooler and a soon-to-be kindergartner. And it was a grand realization! Oh, the freedom of not-babies.


On the train on the way to the city. We managed the transit trains by ourselves during rush hour and no one got lost, no one ran onto the train tracks, and perhaps most importantly, no one peed in their pants. (One of them did, however, spend some time yelling that I was a, "Bad Mama!" because I made him go to the bathroom. Because clearly.)
  


 There was a very treacherous splash pad near the Grands' home, so of course, we went. They had a great time until they both slipped on the wet tile and bumped their heads. (All's well that ends well and we ended with Irish food and ice cream, which is pretty much the definition of ending well.)
 
 
The aforementioned ice cream...
  

We went to this park with interesting, amazing climbing structures and my kids spent their time running down a hill and picking wild flowers. No big. But then, as we were leaving, they discovered these balls and had to climb every single one they saw. 



The one place they asked to go before we even left home was the aquarium in Baltimore, so we did. Luke loved every minute of it, but Weston wasn't altogether convinced that they fish would stay inside the tanks. He was pretty sure that the scarier ones might swim right out and eat him. Every time a big fish swam toward him, he yelled, "It's going to chomp me, it's going to chomp me!" He was less than thrilled at being asked to sit beside a big fish for a picture, as you can see:


Luke was much more willing:



I don't remember for sure, but I think this tank probably had a sting ray in it. Nothing else would have put that look of joy on Luke's face.
 

No comments: