Thursday, July 10, 2014

Bug Camp

Oh, my, it's been a long time since I've been here! I've been taking and saving pictures to post, but haven't made it over here to actually post them. Perhaps I'll get to work on that...

...But in the meantime, let me tell you about our week. Both kids are in summer camp this week. It's Weston's first experience with this kind of group experience and I was unsure how he'd handle the separation. Turns out, he couldn't care less. The very first morning, when I went to drop them off, they both went off to play and barely turned back to say good-bye to me. Since then, every afternoon, when I've gone to pick them up, Weston has gotten increasingly irate about having to leave. On Monday, he told me it wasn't a long enough time. On Tuesday, he told me to leave and come back on Saturday. On Wednesday, I had to carry him out kicking and screaming. Today, he tried to bite me and succeeded in head-butting me as I was carrying him out (kicking and screaming once again.) I do believe the child will enjoy preschool in September.

Since they've both been away, I've had four glorious hours by myself each day. On Monday, I did every single thing on my list of Things To Do For The Week. And then, I looked at the clock and it was 10:38. I forgot how easy it is to make phone calls and fill out paperwork when you don't have to stop every 7 seconds to escort someone to the bathroom or fill a water cup or find a snack or break up a fight or comfort a crying child. On Tuesday, I took a nap with the dog. Not even gonna lie. On Wednesday, I had brunch with a friend, went to the DMV (where I was told to come back when their computers were working,) and spent some time at the library. Today, I went to a La Leche League meeting, which is an odd place to be when you don't have a nursing baby anymore, but an even odder place to be when you don't have any children with you at all. (I got over it. I sat. I listened. I talked. I didn't have to break up fights. Good times!) Tomorrow, I'm going to stop at Starbucks and then enjoy a relaxing morning at the DMV. Funny how your idea of relaxation changes over time, isn't it?

Stay tuned for pictures from the past few weeks!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear Weston is enjoying camp (sorry to hear that he has been aggressive with his sweet mom each day).

Oh how I have missed your blogs.

Bette

Anonymous said...

sounds like the boys are having a great time at camp -- hope that all of you are having a great summer

love ya'll Jim and Karen