Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Running Hot And Cold

There are some people who are really, really skilled at getting dressed. They check the weather. They make sure everything matches. They even pick out complementary accessories. And often, they lay out their clothes the night (or the week) before so they don't have to fumble around in their closet each morning. If this is you, I'm deeply envious of you because needless to say, I am not one of these people. I am a person who blindly picks out things to wear each morning and then spends the rest of the day being grouchy about the fact that I'm wearing a sweater during a heat wave.

So many years ago, I decided that they way to compensate for this clothing-related learning disability was to arrange the clothes in my closet according to their appropriate season. And now, my tank tops sit on one end of my closet and my sweaters sit on the other, and never the two shall meet. And for the better part of a decade, this system has worked wonderfully for me. Granted, I might still show up in green corduroy pants and a striped orange and purple sweater, but at least I'm not trying to brave a blizzard in a tank top and shorts.

And then, we moved to Raleigh. Where not only is the weather inconsistent from one day to the next, but it doesn't even stay stable during the course of a single day. This morning, for example, it was 31 degrees when I left the house. So I decided that it would be a coat, gloves, and hat kind of day. And now, 5 hours later? It's 58 degrees. THE ONLY WAY to prepare for this kind of temperature change is if you wear edible clothing and then snack on it over the course of the day. Which I might consider doing tomorrow, when the low is 32 and the high is 61.

No comments: