Thursday, December 11, 2008

Accepting the Inevitable

Signs that led me to believe that we might actually have a nice, cold, snowy winter this year:
  • The past summer and fall were very hot, but also very humid, which was in stark contrast to the very hot and dry pattern of the last few years. I took that to mean that this winter would be cold and humid (and therefore, snowy), rather than cold and dry.
  • McMoose and others who have experienced more than two Raleigh winters claim that every 4th winter brings a lot of snow. And by "a lot," they mean "one snowstorm that leads to 3-4 inches of actual accumulation." And at this point? I'd settle for that. I have come down off my high horse and would now be happy for ANY ACCUMULATION WHATSOEVER.
  • We had some extremely cold weeks in November. I mean, there were highs in the 30's, for crying out loud. And there was frost on the car when I went out in the morning. Frost! If that doesn't signal coming coldness, I don't know what does.

Signs that are now leading me to believe that my initial expectations were mistaken:

  • It was 70 degrees out on Tuesday.
  • It was in the high 60's yesterday.
  • It's in the slightly lower 60's today. With lots of rain.
  • The rest of the week is supposed to be in the high 50's. It might dip into the high 40's at some point. But probably not.

So apparently, we've decided YET AGAIN to skip the winter portion of the year and just go straight ahead to spring. And actually? I'm starting to be okay with this because I've discovered that shivering while pregnant is not so much fun. Things rattle around inside and make me worry that maybe my liver has come loose. So...okay. I can make my peace with the balmy winter. And now that I've said that, I'm sure we'll be covered under 2 feet of snow by this time next week.

No comments: