I know I haven't been keeping up with posting here on the blog, but if it's any consolation, I am constantly composing posts in my mind--while I feed Luke, while we're driving and he's screaming his head off, while I'm trying to fall asleep. It's my new version of self-speak, apparently, to gather my ideas together in a somewhat coherent manner. And then, I get to the computer and instead of coming to the blog to type out one of the (MILLIONS of) posts I have floating around in my head, I check my email and play sudoku.
I've decided it's because I am, by nature, a procrastinator. I like to Put Things Off. And when I was working, I used this blog as an outlet to help me put off doing things that were part of my job description. Now, however, my job description has changed drastically and really only includes things like "feed the baby," and "change the baby," and "try to make the baby smile." And the baby, as it turns out, is a far more demanding taskmaster than any of my previous bosses.
See, he expects first-rate performance all day, every day and he doesn't stand for excuses. If I tell him that I have a headache or that I didn't get any sleep the night before or that my printer is broken, he doesn't care. He just sits there and screams (Loudly. Unwaveringly. Punishingly.) until I get back on track. So my current job does not allow for procrastination of any kind. In fact, it calls for all kinds of forethought--the baby's going to wake up in 10 minutes? Well then, I'd better get a drink and go to the bathroom and switch the laundry to the dryer RIGHT NOW or there will be hell to pay. (Can I just say that I used to schedule bathroom breaks around nap schedules at the daycare, and I had fully forgotten how much that sucks until I started having to do it again?)
So the only avenue I have for procrastination is with this blog. And also, with writing emails. Which is why I have 2 weeks worth of posts getting jumbled up in my head, as well as at least three Very Important Emails that should have been written and sent out last week, but are also still jumbled up in my head.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
lol...i do the same thing! i think of something to post all the time, but luckily i severely edit (and delete) most of what i would like to post. that's why i go a few weeks between posts! i love keeping up with you, david, and luke! hope to live much closer to you guys some day very soon!
Post a Comment