Wednesday, August 18, 2010

So Far, So Great

After spending the summer at home with his mom, who is a teacher, Other Baby returned yesterday. I'll be honest: I expected it to be hard. I expected the boys to fight. I expected Other Baby to cry and want to be held and not want to nap during the transition and I expected Luke to be jealous that Other Baby was being held and so on. And I expected these things in part because last spring, that's what it was like. There was a lot of fussing and whining by both babies. There was a lot of jealousy and bickering. There was also a lot of good stuff and I loved watching the two of them playing together, but taking care of both of them was hard and even though I was only doing it part-time, it frequently left me exhausted.

As it turns out, two months make a WORLD of difference. I know I'm only two days into it and I'm sure we'll have our share of bad days, but so far, this is AWESOME. And this time, Other Baby is here full-time and it's STILL awesome. They're both mobile enough that we can get out of the house without too much trouble, but at the same time, neither one of them is fast enough to effectively run away from me. They have similar schedules. They eat similar foods. And best of all? They love, love, LOVE playing together.

I mean, there are still (many, many) times when Luke pushes Other Baby or when Other Baby sits on top of Luke and tries to stuff things into his mouth (Why, Other Baby? WHY?), but the fact remains that they follow each other from room to room and look for each other when they wake up from their naps and hug each other at random times during the day. (Okay, so the hugs usually result in tears because invariably, the huggee decides that he doesn't want to be hugged and then the hugger trips and they both fall down, but for the 2 seconds before any of this happens, it's just a sweet moment.)

No comments: