Monday, August 11, 2008

Cynophobia, or The Irrational Fear of Dogs

Before we go any further, I'd like to ask you to look over to the left. See the picture of The Dog? See his meek expression? See how he's about as far from aggressive and intimidating as it is possible to get? Most of the time, when we're out walking him and we come upon someone new, their reaction is (a) to ignore him altogether because he's approximately the size of a body building ant or (b) to exclaim "Aww, puppy!" and pet him and generally fall in love with him.

Until this morning. This morning, I witnessed something so completely bizarre that it defies all logic. It actually boggles my mind. We have this neighbor who lives in our building and who, up until now, seemed pretty sophisticated and worldly. She's always on her cell phone sounding very confident and commanding. She dresses like a pro. Oh, and did I mention? She's a grown woman. And as it turns out, she's a sophisticated, worldly, confident, commanding, grown woman who is DEATHLY AFRAID of dogs.

The Dog and I were just heading out on our morning walk when she was entering the building. Now mind you, we were a good 15 feet away from her front door and given our slow and meandering pace, she could easily have unlocked her door, made it into her apartment, and re-locked her door before we ever even passed her. But irrational fear being irrational and all, she chose instead to emit a very high squealing noise and then run out onto the grass in her high heels. At which point one of her shoes got stuck in some mud, so she left the shoe. In the middle of the lawn. Then? She LEAPED over the hedge and ran onto her porch and--I'm not even joking--she HID IN THE STORAGE CLOSET. From my dog. My little 19-lb, fuzzy, not-at-all-threatening, cute and cuddly dog. Mind: Boggled.

Oh, and in a note of celebration, I made two (two!) phone calls this morning they were both normal and straightforward and did not make me hate the world. To borrow a catch phrase from McDonald's, I'm lovin' it.

No comments: