Monday, August 18, 2008

Heal My Heel

Since the campus has been filled with the noise and dust of construction all summer long, it was a welcome change when I was walking around today and it was quiet. And clean. With newly paved roads and freshly cut grass. And the 59 "Road Closed Due to Construction" signs were all gone, which means I can go back to enjoying the scenery during my walks from point A to point B instead of having to devise new and increasingly creative walking routes all the time. So since I didn't feel like I was in a perpetually shifting obstacle course this morning, I began to let down my guard. I hummed a little tune. The sun shone and the birds sang and not even Walt Disney could have improved upon it.

So when I felt a slight, shooting pain in my heel, I barely even noticed. But by the time I had reached my office and the euphoria of walking around unencumbered faded, I began to realize that with each step I took, my left heel hurt just a little bit more. So I pulled off my flip flop and checked my heel, only to find a lovely shard of glass sticking out of it. Apparently, the construction people did NOT clean up all their mess because if they had? I WOULDN'T BE SITTING HERE WITH A SESAME STREET BAND-AID ON MY FOOT RIGHT NOW.

So (a) next time, remind me to remove the glass BEFORE it embeds itself into my foot and (b) why are there sesame street band-aids in my office?

No comments: