Friday, November 14, 2008

An Uncommon Cold

I currently have my first cold of the past 20 months. Which is pretty impressive because before that? I caught EVERY SINGLE BUG that came along, which meant that I was sick for approximately 25 days out of every month. Apparently, my immune system finally decided to step up and do its job and as a result, the past 20 months have been amazing. So when I woke up with a sore throat a few days ago, I was very nervous, especially since I had heard that having any kind of illness while pregnant is pure hell. But so far? It's really not so bad. In fact, as perverse as this might be, I'm kind of enjoying it. I get to sit here, wrapped in a blanket, drinking GALLONS of hot (decaf) tea and hot chocolate. Plus, my temperature is finally at a toasty (and normal!) 98.6 degrees instead of hovering somewhere around 97 degrees, which means that all of my extremities are AT A COMFORTABLE TEMPERATURE. Imagine that.

I'm sure it helps (a lot) that this as colds go, this one is fairly mild. Sure, I sneeze and cough and sound (and look) pitiful, but there's no fever and no crazy congestion and I have to say that after being nauseous for two months straight? This is EASY. I can still eat things and drink things and walk around and just generally act like a human being instead of a grouchy zombie. Plus, the headache that had been my constant companion for the past couple of weeks has taken a hiatus, which is just the icing on the cake.

And as long as this mild cold STAYS a mild cold and doesn't morph into some crazy strep/pneumonia thing, we'll be golden. And also, I hope the cough doesn't get much worse because...um...what do you do for a cough if you can't take cough medicine???

No comments: