Wednesday, November 19, 2008

A Lacuna, If You Will

Every Tuesday afternoon, we have a lab group meeting, where my three co-workers and I all update our advisor (and each other) on what we've accomplished that week, as well as receive our tasks for the next week. Except that for the past three weeks, when it gets to be my turn to give a progress report or receive new tasks, the conversation has gone something like this:

Advisor: Anisha, you don't really have anything to do right now, do you?
Me: No. Not really.
Advisor: Okay.

And then, the meeting continues and I never actually get new tasks. So I spend the next week just kind of hanging out and reorganizing my desk, all the while listening to my three co-workers talk about how they have SO MUCH TO DO and WORK IS SO BUSY and THEY NEVER HAVE ANY FREE TIME. And, um...I feel a little bit guilty. Because I have (lots of) free time. And nothing to do. And I'm in no way, shape, or form even remotely busy. So to make myself feel better, I rearrange the office and straighten up our collection of snow globes and yesterday? I cleaned out the fridge AND microwave. And if I had a duster, I'd probably dust off all the filing cabinets and bookshelves.

Of course, I COULD spend this time finishing the latest edits to my proposal. Or I COULD be researching the term paper that's due in 2 weeks. Or I COULD be writing the mini-paper that's due TOMORROW. Instead, I think I'll re-hang all the posters.

No comments: