Back when we were still discussing the whole do-we-want-to-have-a-kid thing, I had a list of reasons why now would be a great time and exactly 1 reason why it wouldn't: I'd have to tell my advisor about it. And that one con was almost enough to outweigh all the pros. As it happened, the pros won out in the end, but today, I had to face the music and have the conversation I'd been dreading for the past, oh, I don't know, ten years? (That was an exaggeration. In other words? A bald-faced LIE.)
So here's approximately how I was EXPECTING this conversation to go:
Me: Advisor, I just wanted to tell you that I'm pregnant.
Advisor: What? Pregnant? As in gestating a human being? Oh! The insolence! The insubordination! You're being kicked out of the program RIGHT NOW. Oh, and also, you're losing your health insurance!
*Fire. Brim stones. End of the universe.*
Oddly enough, that's not what happened at all. What ACTUALLY happened was more like this:
Me: Advisor, I just wanted to tell you that I'm pregnant.
Advisor: Oh, wow! Congratulations! What happy news!
Me, thrown completely for a loop: Um...yeah...it IS happy news. But...I just...uh...hm.
Advisor: So, how's the dog doing?
And then, we talked about remedies for itchy dogs for the next 10 minutes. This is exactly how EVERY conversation with my advisor should go.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment