Friday, November 21, 2008

A Tale of Two Eyes

-I went to the eye doctor today. Amazingly, he did not smell like onions OR garlic, as most of my previous optometrists have. And also? He didn't try to balance himself on his little stool by putting his hands on my legs. Which means that I am now his NUMBER ONE FAN.

-I really, really hope that The Bug has McMoose's eyes because my eyes? Yeah, they kinda suck. My left one is getting steadily worse and the right one is developing astigmatism, for crying out loud. I find this highly unfair because I was told that eating carrots would be good for my eyes, and as a result, I made myself develop a taste for them and I'm STILL going blind. Meanwhile, McMoose, who would rather be eaten alive by canaries than eat a carrot has perfect vision.

-I always wonder how well doctors read the information forms that you fill out and today, I got my answer when the optometrist decided that he wanted to dilate my pupils. I asked if that was safe to do while I was pregnant, to which he responded with an "Oh! You're pregnant?!" Um, yes...that's why I checked the "Yes" box next to the question "Are you pregnant?" on the form. Way to pay attention, doc. As it turns out, it's not safe to do while pregnant, which suited me just fine because (a) the solution that they use to dilate my pupils always makes my eyes hurt for hours afterwards and (b) the wrap-on sunglasses they give you to drive with are super dorky. Plus, the disclaimer that says something to the effect of "While most people can drive after pupil dilation, as long as they keep these sunglasses on, some people do die in fiery car crashes so please don't hold us liable" makes me a little bit leery of the whole thing.

No comments: