Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Confession

I am convinced that the Universe gave me the exact child that I got for the express purpose of opening my mind. I will admit that before him, I had ideas about the "right" ways to do things--I would have a completely unmedicated childbirth, I would breastfeed the baby, he would sleep in a crib from day one. And while I did have the unmedicated childbirth (thanks in large part to McMoose and a very helpful nurse), there was still a point when I was literally BEGGING for that epidural. And that was in spite of the 12 weeks of natural childbirth classes, where we learned a million techniques for pain management; it was in spite of the dozens of books and articles I read to help prepare myself; it was in spite of all the mental preparation I had done in the weeks preceding the birth. With all of that, when I was actually in the moment, my only coherent thought was "THIS HURTS!" Ultimately, I didn't turn down the epidural because it was in my birth plan or because I thought it would be best for me or Luke or because I had any kind of inner strength--I did it only because my fear of the catheter outweighed any desire to end the pain.

And then, came the whole feeding thing. I never before understood people who said "I tried breastfeeding, but had to quit after 1 (or 2 or 3) weeks." Whenever I heard that, I always thought, "Well, that person just didn't try hard enough." Then, when Luke was 4 days old, I was sitting there in tears at 3 in the morning, wishing that I hadn't asked McMoose to hide all the formula samples that had come in the mail because there is something uniquely grotesque about feeding your newborn child and then finding your blood on his face. And in spite of the multiple visits with the multiple lactation consultants, in spite of the special shield that keeps him from chewing on me, in spite of all the literature that extols the virtues of breastmilk, the formula aisle at CVS is still tempting. I now understand that when people say they tried, but had to quit, it might mean that they dreaded the moment when their child would wake up because he would be hungry; it might mean that they couldn't hold their baby except when he was asleep because it hurt too much when he moved. It might mean that even though they put up with the pain and woke their baby up every 2 hours to feed him, he still wasn't gaining weight quickly enough, so they didn't even get the reinforcement that they were doing what was best for their child. I'm still sticking with it, but I can fully understand how the opposite choice is just as valid.

So at this point, all my ideas about the way I "should" be doing things have been blown out of the water and for the first time, I can fully understand choices other than my own. So for that, I guess I'm thankful. But Universe, next time you want to make a point, if you could do it in a slightly less painful way, it would be much appreciated.

4 comments:

the smiths said...

As a mommy just a few weeks ahead of you, I can say one word of encouragement...breastfeeding does get better. I don't think it will ever feel GREAT, but the excruciating pain that you feel at first goes away after a few weeks. Or it did for me at least! :/ Just wanted to let you know and I feel your pain!

Jamie said...

There is also the option to pump...I have been pumping for 9 months, a week and some days. It is an option, they get exactly what they need and you get the benefit of someone helping with the feeding. You could also pump a little after each feeding to assist with the latching. Also, LANSINOH, and lots of it! I am glad to help answer questions if you have them. Good LUCK!

Rachel Ratliff said...

Epidurals don't hurt at all...I don't know why people act like they do. I didn't even feel mine. Maybe it was the contractions, but it just didn't hurt at all. Sorry...just had to tell you that, but I'm in awe that you had a natural birth. That is for sure the best way to go. It is better for you in the long run because you can feel when you need to push. With an epidural, you feel nothing, so you have no idea when to push...the doctor has to tell you when. Anyway, enough on that. I was lucky with breastfeeding. Ryan picked it up withina a few days, and it never really hurt me. I do remember why I finally stopped breastfeeding at 6 months. I was so tired of being tied down. I hated pumping because it just wasn't as efficient. It was easier just to feed the baby! Hang in there...in the long run, you'll be happy you breastfed for as long as you could (mentally, physically, whatever). I agree with Jamie on the Lansinoh. That stuff really helps, but it will ruin your bras if you don't put a shield between your nipple and the bra. It's oily so I guess the oily stuff latches to your bra and refuses to come out no matter what! Also, watch out for mastitis. I got that at least once or twice a month because I produced so much milk so I ended up on antibiotics for almost the entire time I was breastfeeding. Not to mention it hurts like hell and looks like you have a tumor in your breast! Good luck with the breastfeeding...I'll be thinking about you!

Anonymous said...

I'm a friend of Samantha's, that's how I found your blog. I'm a new mom, too.

I love this post! There are so many things I said before I had my son, but now it's all changed,haha!

Btw- epidurals are different for each person. I had a terrible time with mine. just saying.