I knew going in that this parenthood thing would come with its share of surprises, but I really didn't expect to be hit with so many in the first six days. I mean, the kid is less than a week old, and already, most of what I thought I knew about babies, based on YEARS of experience with babies of all sizes, shapes, and temperaments has pretty much gone out of the window.
-I had expected that Luke would wake up at least every couple of hours throughout the day and night. Instead, I have given birth to possibly the first child on the face of the planet who can sleep a six hour stretch with no complaints. The trade-off (you knew there was one coming, right?) is that before his six hours of sleeping like an angel, he spends a minimum of one hour screeching like a howler monkey who cannot be comforted, usually at about 1 AM. I'm waiting for the eviction notice any day now.
-I had expected that his two hour sleep sessions would happen in the crib or bassinet. Apparently, he had other plans because while he sleeps great in the bassinet during the day, he has decided that at night, monsters live in there, so the minute we put him in there, he wakes up and acts like a possessed little demon child. End result: more often than not, he ends up in bed with us, where he sleeps like a log until we wake him up to eat. *Sigh*
-I expected a baby who would hate being swaddled, like being rocked and held, and accept a pacifier. What I got is a baby who LOVES being swaddled, but who also possesses the ability to break out of every swaddle imaginable. I guess I could just use duct tape, but I think the law would frown on that. And he likes being rocked and held--by McMoose. The minute he sees me, he starts screeching like a pterodactyl and sits there with his mouth open, waiting for me to feed him. Again. And he takes a pacifier when it suits his needs. In other words, ALMOST NEVER. The rest of the time, if we dare put the paci in his mouth, he starts thrashing his head around like a demented catfish.
I don't know what to make of this kid. All I can say is that I hope he grows out of the screaming-at-the-top-of-his-very-powerful-lungs-for-HOURS-AT-A-TIME soon. Like TODAY.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Anisha,
hang in there. Things wil change all too soon.
love you lots
sometimes they cry a lot before they sleep just because it is the only way they can release their excess energy. Once he moves more the screaming may end because he will be physically worn out! It can be unnerving in the meantime, though. You are lucky that you have been around a lot of children and do at least have a bag of tricks to try - and also have a knack for keeping your own spirit calm. I guess he just wants to teach you a few more tricks!
You might look for the Kiddopotamus Swaddle Me...it has velcro to keep it fastened. We got ours at babies r us. They work and there is very little room for an escape.
Good Luck with the screaming...not sure about that.
Hey there, good luck with little Luke. It's so good to hear from you. He looks like a perfect little angel to me! I sent you something, but it's not much. I hope I got your address right!
Post a Comment