Monday, May 4, 2009

Who SAYS That?

I went to the grocery store to get the ingredients to make stuffed mushrooms today, and apparently, 12:15 is a very slow time at Food Lion because there were three cashiers standing around and making small talk. As soon as I entered the picture, the topic of conversation turned to pregnancy and went something like this:

Cashier 1: How much longer do you have?
Me: About a week.
Cashier 1: Wow, you're close!
Cashier 2: You must be ready to pop! You look exhausted--you have circles under your eyes. Are you tired?
Me: Um...I...guess...
Cashier 2: And your face is starting to look a little puffy, too.
Me: *stare at her and wonder if I'm actually dreaming this conversation up*
Cashier 2: When I was pregnant with my first, I never got that big...but the baby was still 9 lbs! You're much bigger...that probably means your baby will be huge!
Me: *blink*
Cashier 2: Well, have a nice day!

And then, I walked out in a daze. Luckily, Cashier 1 caught up with me at the door, apologized for her colleague and wished me good luck, thus proving that SOME Food Lion employees do have some measure of sense after all.

Oh, and I went straight to the mirror after I got home, where I discovered that (a) I do NOT have circles under my eyes and (b) my face most certainly does NOT look "puffy", thank you very much. Dumbass cashier...I would like to step on her with my giant, swollen feet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have enjoyed reading your blogs. You may not have circles under your eyes or have a puffy face, but you are most definitely hilarious!

Rachel Ratliff said...

hilarious!