Tuesday, May 5, 2009

A Halfway Bullet Post

Now that I'm no longer going to work/school, my days are punctuated by what used to be fairly mundane events--trips to the grocery store, doing a load of laundry, walking the dog. These have now become the Most Exciting Things Ever and I plan them with all the precision of a space shuttle launch. For one thing, I try to plan it so that there's one car ride every day--grocery store, target, gas station--the important thing isn't the destination, but rather, the fact that I get dressed, leave the house, and associate with actual human beings. And while I used to try to cram all my errands into one master trip, now I break them up so that it seems like I have more Important Things To Do.

Unfortunately, even with all the planning, some days still get shortchanged because let's face it, there are only so many errands you can create for yourself. Today, for example, was a day when I had to face the bleak possibility that perhaps I would have to stay home ALL DAY LONG. But then, a wonderful, happy sounding woman from the eyeglass store called to tell me that my glasses were ready to be picked up. That, of course, made my day and motivated me to (a) put on real clothes and (b) eat an actual meal instead of trying to subsist on tea and cheese.

As it turned out, this trip was a lot more exciting than I had initially planned because:

-As I was walking across the wet parking lot, my flip flop fell off my foot and into a rain gutter in what was a very dysfunctional Cinderella moment, so I got to be the Weird Pregnant Woman fishing a shoe out of a gutter with a stick.

-A stranger at the eyeglass store told me that after I have the baby, I should be careful not to bathe him too much, lest he SHED HIS SKIN. Um....like a snake? Has there ever in the history of the world been a case where a baby has shed his skin because he was bathed too much?

-My hope that The Bug inherits McMoose's eyesight was reinforced in a big way when I was waiting for my glasses and got to watch a grown man beg, threaten, and bribe his 6-year-old in an attempt to get him to try on a pair of glasses.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you got to out today. I'm sorry that you lost your flip flop and NO ONE helped you get it back. We love you.