Saturday, May 23, 2009

Rubber Ducky, You're the One

I always suspected that I would make a terrible first-time parent, and I have to admit that the past two weeks have only confirmed that suspicion. But it surprised the hell out of me that McMoose makes a pretty rotten first time parent too. From the first diaper change, he was all cool and confident and acted like this whole baby thing was completely old hat to him, which was awesome because it meant that unlike one of my friends who just had her first baby with her husband, I don't have to listen to things like "I need help changing the baby!" or "I don't know how to hold the baby's head!" And in general, my reaction to most baby-related weirdness has been "Meh. He'll live." Which I'm told is a very bad attitude for a first time mom to have. Apparently, I'm supposed to call the pediatrician at 3 in the morning because he sneezed.

But while the "Meh, he'll live" attitude is serving us well in terms of being less stressed, it unfortunately goes hand in hand with the "Oops, we forgot to document our child's life" attitude. As a result of which we have no pictures of his first bath in the hospital or his trip home from the hospital or his first tub bath at home. In fact, I meant to re-stage his trip home from the hospital (aka: put him in the same outfit and strap him into the car seat) and I haven't even managed to do THAT. What we HAVE managed to do, however, is get some pictures of his SECOND bath:

Why yes, that IS his happy face. Apparently, the kid LOVES baths, probably because the water is warm and we've already learned that he takes after me in that being cold makes him want to stop existing in the world.

I'm still not sure how I managed to grow a person who looks nothing like me, but apparently, he's a cross between McMoose and an octopus (do you SEE those tentacles--I mean fingers?)

2 comments:

Rachel Ratliff said...

OMG...Luke is so cute! I can't say he's cuter than Ryan because that would be mean to Ryan, but he is so cute! And his fingers are huge! I just want to cuddle his cute little self, and I love his hair!!! I don't think this comment makes any sense because I'm so excited about how cute he is! Haha...

Jamie said...

Adorable! He looks like he loves the water...with those (what appears to be) long legs and arms...I'm thinking swimmer! Look out Michael Phelps...Luke has got your number! Good luck with everything...the he'll live attitude is fine to have, just remember they DON'T BOUNCE. ; )